Driving in Snow
Before setting off ask: Is this journey really necessary?
Always, but especialy if the journey is long, you must prepare the car properly, this could easily take 30 minutes:
- Fully charge your mobile phone
- Plan your route. Listen for media road and weather announcements
- Tell someone where you're going, and what time you expect to be back
- Consider taking a shovel and some sacks incase the wheels get stuck
- Take spare warm jumpers, jackets and hats
- Don't forget a warm flask and some food
As for the car itself...
- Are the windows and light casings completely clear of snow and ice? at the back as well?
- Remove snow from the roof. It may slide down over your windscreen
- Make sure the wipers and wiper jets are unfrozen and able to move
- Top up the special window washer fluid, consider taking a spare bottle
- Warm the engine before starting to move
- Demist the windows BEFORE starting off
- Make sure you have enough FUEL to complete your journey, with plenty of extra incase of likely delays
- Heavily diluted washer fluid (or water) may instantly freeze if the car is cold. This may cause you to be temporarily blind
- Air conditioning will keep the windows clear (on the inside)